Raining

days before Christmas




“If you don’t like Louis Armstrong, you don’t know how to love.”

-Mahalia Jackson


The days are quite dark and wet, black trees and charcoal-gray pavement.

I want it to snow in the valley.

If I had a temperature reader on the balcony as I have had in the past.  I would be the type to yell the degrees back at everyone in the house with joy, or elated horror.

It is almost the Winter Solstice.

It would be nice if we could find some peace in the world, suddenly an unexpected, overwhelming sense of peace calming the world.

The girls delicately suggest I put presents under the tree.  I say, but then you will feel them out, shake them, sniff them.  I’m exaggerating to make a point.

A cup of tea is in order.

Louie Armstrong is singing Christmas carols with that velvety, deep voice of his.

He sings,

“He comes a calling when the snows the most.
And all you cats are sleeping warm as toast.
And you gonna flip when old St. Nick,
takes a lick from a peppermint stick.”

I'm relieved that Mahalia thinks I know how to love - big time!

Cheers,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment