A Lesion in Paintbrushes




The Simple Life

I have a friend and mentor who is a master painter, she recently gave me all these gorgeous paintbrushes.  She is in her 80’s and is still going strong with a passion and love of life that is not found often.


 
paintbrushes and roses -just heaven


Here is some of her advice she has given me in the past while we worked together. I'll tell you this it is always a joy to work with her.

Have fun.
Listen to music while you work.
Get up now and then stretch and take a break, have a snack.
If the work seems scary or overwhelming break it down into sections and slowly work on each section.
Gradually build up the layers of paint, it is all just a process.
Always clean your brushes well.
Keep your studio ventilated.
Work on a few pieces at the same time.
If you feel exhausted, go have a nap.
For the women, while waiting in line at the bank do Kegels it is so fun because no one knows.
Get out and see the world, absorb everything.

In raising my girls she has said.  Make sure they speak another language, read books, and play an instrument.



Now Nat’s simple basic less profound advise to my cherished readers.

Try to use natural brushes.

Separate the use of the brushes and keep them that way. Brushes used for Oil paints, Acrylics, Shellac etc.

The brushes that are flat tipped I use for trim, cutting a line, angles.

The liner brushes (thin and long hairs) I use to pull a curvy decorative line.  It is amazing how this liner brush can make your painting look professional. Pull your line, don’t push the line.

The brushes with a rounded irregular tip are good for filling in the space or design.

I often work with 3 or 4 brushes at the same time changing them up as needed.

I keep my favorite brushes in a special jar so they are easy to find.

Follow your enthusiasm and yes have fun.  



With affection,
Natalie

I'm linking with these link parties:

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of paint brushes, especially when the bristles are worn down and the handles are paint covered. I have a collection of them I keep in a pitcher just like flowers. So I love your pairing of brushes and roses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree with Urban Cottage, I think worn paint brushes are art by themself. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete