Architectural Elements - Corbels




I love the idea of architectural elements lying around in interiors and in the garden.  Rome is full of them with ancient Rome present in daily life.  You might be walking down the street and come across a dirt space and a huge Roman head or column just there – gorgeous and shocking.
 
architectural elements in interiors

I once drove over the boarder to Mexico from California with girlfriends to go shopping and what did I come back with but a huge concrete ball.  I kept it for years lying around my various apartments.  I wish I still had it now here in Italy.  If you put a piece architecture in your space it makes the space look interesting instantly.  Corbels, columns, architraves, pieces of stairs, a newel or chunk of a banister, capitals, arches, leave them on a beautiful floor or lean them up against a wall, put a bowl of floating flowers and candles and there you have a scene of tranquility and antiquity.
 
the writing desk is from the 1700's Italian (certo!)
If these Corbels were for me I would have painted them a great color like sapphire blue or ruby red.  In San Francisco I had a pair that were attached as a true architectural support under a square archway and I painted them a chalky rich pink. Man did they look great! In this situation I must do what the client wants alas.

There were previously messed up in an electrical fire blacken with smoke, but no real damage done.  They are made out of terra cotta.

Corbels before shot
I painted them taupe in acrylic and then dry brushed over them in oil color (raw umber).

The project took a few days for drying time, but the actually working time was minimal.  It was fun because it was such a quick transformation.

Corbels as book supports


I am wishing a Happy Sunday to all my lovely readers around the world.

Kind regards,
Natalie

I'm linking with these fun parties:




2 comments:

  1. Great use of the corbels. They are so beautiful. I really enjoyed this inspirational post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party? Hope to see you there!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! I'm looking for inspiration to add to my mantel and this gives me a great idea. How lucky you are to live in Italy!

    ReplyDelete