Aged Mocha-Black Armoire




Before we begin with the how to paint an Aged Mocha-Black Armoire, anyone interesting in my online painting class can click the ad below.  Come join us in this intensive, uplifting, inspiring painting techniques course.




Hello my darlings!

I must confess that it torments me to post badly lit photos and not styled.  But I really wanted to show you this armoire because in real life it came out just gorgeous.


It was simple to paint.


I wanted to share the process that I created.
Here is the before shot, missing the doors.



I sanded down the piece to rough up the surface some. 

Then I took soft wax and rubbed it on the wood where I wanted the distressing to be, on the corners not inside.  In this way the paint was repelled a bit when I painted it.

Then I mixed the black acrylic paint some mocha brown.  This is what the photos don’t show.  How hip and cool it is to do a brown-black instead of just straight black.  Adding the mocha color helps to highlight the brown of the wood when I distressed the piece and in day light it makes the design much warmer.

After the armoire was painted and the paint was still wet I wiped off the paint where the wax was with a damp cloth and the wood came through.  This is an imperfect process because it is hard to see where I had put the wax.
Sette Design -rubbing off where it is waxed


Then I painted it again and did the same wiping method.
 
Sette Design
Once it was dry, I added soft wax all over the armoire with a piece of old clean white wool (cut up old sweater).  I waited 20 to 30 minutes and buffed it with a new piece of sweater.




Sette Design - mocha black aged armoire



I’m sorry that the photos don’t do it justice.  You will have to trust me that it came out amazing.  I was so in love with the sophistication of the piece.  When friends came by they said, wow it looks like an armoire from the 1700’s.

E’ Via!!

Happy Weekend my sweets!
Do something creative even if it is just making a pretty vase of summer flowers for your loved ones.
With affection,
Natalie

I’m linking with these parties:

4 comments:

  1. This piece is spectacular! You do great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The armoire looks beautiful - you did a wonderful job - I too am anxious at times to go ahead and share! I am so delighted you visited that I might return the call - I appreciate you,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, love that look. Can I ask did you paint it mocha first then black? Or is it the 2 mixed together and then applied? Thank you for sharing. Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful piece. I did a similar work with chalk paint. It was easy to do. you can paint over the piece and distress with a rag and water. It is amazing to see the finish of the piece. I applied some wax to finish and it loos fantastic.

    ReplyDelete