Autumn, Apples and Apple Pie


The Simple Life


How are you?  Are you an Autumn type of person?  Do you thrive as the weather begins to turn cold?  I must say that I’m more of a Spring and Summer California girl but I do love the golden light of Umbria at this time of year.  It is crazy how the light really turns orange or sepia.




http://settedesign7.blogspot.com

Alfredo and I went out picking apple branches. We had a silly time getting the branches because it had rained recently and when we jumped up to grab a branch to break, the tree showered rain drops on us, as if we had our own personal rain cloud.  We were left drenched, holding empty branches, with the apples at our feet.  Later in my paint studio, I put the branches in a big vase.  I was painting a mirror frame white and I thought to create this scene for you my dear readers.  All around this beauty was the chaos of my paint studio, furniture, paintbrushes, tubs of stucco.

I think it is a nice design idea to make a display with a mirror laying flat.  Reflection is good for the eyes and the soul…no?

Sette Design In my studio

Sette Design


Here is how I make Apple Pie which is an American classic dessert.  Just right for Fall.

Sette Design The Simple Life
Cheers,
Natalie

Apple Pie

In the U.S. we bake by using cups and spoons for measurements.

Cut up 5 to 6 cups of apples pealed and in chunks or slices

In a separate bowl mix together:
½ cup of white sugar or brown sugar (the kind with Molasses) or both together
If I know the apples are sweet I add less sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla
1 tablespoon cornstarch (this absorbs the juice of the apples)
In Italy cornstarch is called Maizena.
Then add all this mixture over the apples and stir to cover them.


The pie crust is the hardest part.  I won’t say I’m great at it.  I do a combination of American pie crust and Italian (crostata) crust.

2 ¼ cups of white flour
2/3 cup of chilled butter.  I cut it in slices over the flour.
I add a pinch of salt because in Italy the butter comes unsalted
2 tablespoons chilled water
Then I add a bit of cold whole milk until the dough comes together, very slowly maybe only another few tablespoons.

I mix this together with my hands in a big bowl until the dough feels soft enough to roll out.

Then I divide the dough into two parts one part for the top crust and one for the bottom crust.

Roll out the two parts to the size of pie shell you want. Lay the crust down into the pan, add the apple mixture and then put the top rolled out crust on top.  You can use a fork to press the edges of the crusts together and puncture the top of the crust to let the heat out.

Put it in the oven at 350 degrees (180 C) for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.

This can be served plan or with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top.

I'm linking with these parties:
City of Creative Dreams
At The Picket Fence
French Country Cottage
Romantic Home

No comments:

Post a Comment