Ukrainian Egg Dying




Buona Pasqua

Around this family compound there is lots of Ukrainian Egg Dying going on.  Since this is the wine country, I can also say that friends bring over bottles of precious wine and then sit down and let their creativity go.  It is interesting how good people are at it.  Everyone wants to dye eggs!



We are not Ukrainian, nor are we painting them all in the traditional designs, we are just having fun!  I have incidentally been told by Ukrainians living in our city in Italy that my daughters look like Ukrainian children (who knew).



The Ukrainian dye colors are rich and bright.  The process is much like Batik.  You apply the wax with a tool called a Kistka.  You scoop up some wax, warm it over a lit candle and then draw with the Kistka.  The wax flows onto the egg, much like ink from a pen.  You simply work with negative space that the wax creates, adding other layers of dye and more wax as you go along.  At the end you hold the egg up to the candle flame, melt the wax and wipe it off with a napkin.

Wax, Kistka tools and candle

 
http://settedesign7.blogspot.com PEACE


They come out just splendid.



Cheers and Happy Easter!
Natalie

I'm linking with these parties:



2 comments:

  1. I think you did a fabulous job on the Ukrainian styled eggs. I just did a post on two new additions to the collection of Ukrainian eggs that my girlfriend gave me. She is of that background and buys me two new eggs every Easter. Susan

    ReplyDelete