Painting Crystals




It is a rainy Monday morning in Umbria.  Yes I have a cappuccino by my side, do you? I love the rain, to me it always magical.  The Italians are funny because they will sometimes have their umbrellas up even when it isn’t raining.  For this Northern California girl it has to be really raining for me to put up an umbrella or even carry one.  Now I know to look out my window not to see if the umbrellas are up but to look on the river and see if there are needle-point circles in the water.  Then it is raining.
 
the crystals I wired on with a flexible thin gage wire


I’m really excited about this post because a while back I had a great idea.  I thought why not paint with colored glass paint the crystals that go on chandeliers.

In the past I had tried to use glass paint and I found it really hard to work with but that was when I was painting kiln loads full of pottery and the kiln makes everything look so amazing that glass paint seemed pathetic.

Now that I’m painting furniture and walls, glass paint seems just like another fun alternative.  Plus I’m all about process and learning new techniques.

I'll show you some before shots now.

here it it before straight from the junk store

candelabra painted white already better

On crystals I suggest a thin layer with a soft brush that does not show too much brush stroke.  Then if you want to let it dry a few hours you can do another layer.
 
here they are before flash photo
I painted only one side of the crystal, this was all that was needed to show the color effect.




painting crystals
glass paint comes in many colors go to your art store

I absolutely love brown with a warm color.  I think it is so hip.

I like the idea of doing an amber brown color with this white chandelier. 

sorry I don't have the photo of it installed yet

painted crystals on chandelier

I wish you all a good start to your week.  I hope it is raining wherever you are in the world.  Remember every week do something creative that fills your soul up rain or shine.

plus the holidays are coming!
XO
Natalie

I'm linking with:

1 comment: