Earthquakes, Espresso and Ice Cream




The Simple Life

Yesterday at 3:20 A.M. there was a huge Earthquake in Napa Valley.

My family in California is fine.
We have a house in the Napa Valley and even one on the coast that the San Andreas Fault passes under.


I feel many moments of gratitude.  This only confirms for me how fragile life is.

In 1989 Earthquake in San Francisco, the one when the Bay Bridge was tumbled, I stood in the financial district holding on to a girlfriend as all the building swayed and popped, a cloud of dust rising up like a bomb.  I understand the fear of earthquakes, they are terrifying, they bring you the feeling that you have no control.

Here in Umbria, the region was destroyed by an earthquake in 1997, it has since been rebuilt, the palazzos restored to splendor, painted gorgeous colors and the churches and historic buildings restructured.

In moments like this I return to The Simple Life, to finding joy and peace in the tiny pleasures of life.  My current love affair is with hot espresso poured over vanilla ice cream.  Trust me it is one of the great pleasures of the simple life.

I make espresso in my stove top Mocha put a big scoop of ice cream in a cup then pour the dark rich espresso over the ice cream.  I like to add a teaspoon of sugar to the espresso because I’m so whimpy and can’t drink strong coffee without cutting it with sugar.  For you kick-ass coffee drinkers you can just do espresso with ice cream.
 
Sette Design  - espresso and ice cream
You know what’s funny is I feel proud of myself for even drinking the espresso strong like this.

A big hug to everyone in Cali.  I'm thinking of you, my heart is with you.

With affection,
Natalie

I'm linking with:



2 comments:

  1. Oh wow how terrifying! I have never been through an earthquake and your description of a feeling of no control really sets the mood and makes me understand how horrible it truly is. My daughter and grandchildren lived in Cali for about 3 years and every news report of earthquakes and fire I called her. I am happy to hear you are ok and coping with the thought of it with your ice-cream. I am not a hard core coffee drinker and I still take regular coffee with cream. Haven't had the guts to try espresso yet, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete