How To: Faded Pattern On Shabby Chic Furniture




shabby chic furniture ideas
I had so much fun doing this project because I love pattern and it scares me a bit also.  I guess I’m afraid I’ll mess it up.  I believe with pattern in an interior it is more difficult to make the space look pretty and simple, which is an aesthetic that I desire.  Yet I also believe that our brains and souls want the stimulation and repetition of pattern.  It makes us happy, we think owwwh che bello!

I changed the knob to green glass

Here’s what I did, it really did not take me long at all, just a few hours.  Granted the piece is small, but there is waiting time involved.

before shot

I painted this piece pale blue gray, leaving the ochre color underneath.

sometimes I use heavy books to glue veneer down



Where the tapped veneered edge of the door was coming apart.  I took a tiny brush and added some glue in the gap. I tapped it with masking tape to ahead it together. This is a simple trick if you don’t have clamps or the angle is strange.

off-white motif

I free form painted a scroll type, leafy design in off white.  Here is a Big Secret for those of you who are new to painting, go buy yourself a liner brush.  They make everything look magic and you can touch up your own designs afterward by lining in on the edges.  You could also do this process with a stencil.  With a liner brush you want to pull the brush, never push it.  Then the brush does the work for you.

easy to add in the finesse after


my best friends


I painted in metallic silver on part of the molding.  This gives the piece a slight glow.

you can leave it sanded off to your preference

When my white design dried I sanded it a bit on the edges of the cabinet and over the motif to fade it down, part of the original ochre shows through.  Then I took a small brush and painted over some of the motif with the original blue-gray base color.  Let that dry.

I paint over the design to fade it out


I tinted some clear wax in a dark kiwi green color with Universal Tints.  I like to cut up old wool sweaters to use to apply the wax (use a light color).  First I apply a lot of wax, then I wipe it off right away.  After about a half hour I get a new clean piece of wool and buff the waxed finish, a light shine comes up.

tinted wax in kiwi green

buff the wax in and off


keep life simple


so pretty and faded


Do you think it’s pretty?  What do you think about pattern in your home?  I like the idea of fading the pattern to tone down the force of the motif and make it aged looking.

Happy Weekend dear readers.

Natalie

I'm sharing with these fun Link Parties:

10 comments:

  1. It looks great, Natalie! I love the color you chose and your pattern is very pretty. I'm impressed you freehanded that! I'm too shaky so unless I'm going for squiggles, I use stencils. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so envious you can paint that gorgeous scroll design by hand. I have a hard time with stenciling. My hands and eyes don't seem to have the same ideas about what I'm trying to do.
    I love your little cabinet, so pretty with the faded design over the color you painted her and with the gorgeous green glass knob. I'll be subscribing as I don't want to miss a thing. Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't find the place to subscribe. Really want to .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty. Love the loose non perfect scrolls that look weathered. All the details with wax and gold touches really make it look vintage.
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, love the colors and design...sweet!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys for your sweet comments. The little side table now sits as my bedside table with flowers, and a paper lamp.
    Cheers
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  7. So charming~ love the colors you chose- thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful transformation...thanks for stopping by my blog Natalie...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love!!! What color of paint did you use? I am terrible at colors

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a paint color name for you. I do know the color it is that classic french color that is part grey and part light blue, not a baby blue. It is a color I believe has and will look good through out history.
    Cheers
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete