Pink Roses and Olive Leaves




I have a dark little secret and it is dark because this Diario di Design is supposed to be all about light and color and design of course and joy and if you remember 2014 =7 and that means it’s going to be a kick-ass year. I will not be one of those people who write kick-a**.  You have no idea how my profanity is in check on these posts.

My secret is I hate the darkness of this time of year.




I count the minutes of light that are arriving.  Here in Umbria this is the break down, we are gaining about 1 to 2 minutes of daylight a day.  This means that by January 20th we will have found 15 more minutes of “enlightenment”.  Right now the sun rises at 7:41 (way late) and sets at 4:50.  Any sunset that has a four in front is just wrong.



Yet when I have traveled to places in the world like Ecuador or Indonesia that are close to the equator, it is so strange to have an even 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark all year round.  So my dark secret is that I'm a hypocrite, becasue actually I love the changing days and looking forward to the sun rising higher in the sky.

olive leave and pink roses - bliss

As of tomorrow school starts again and that means we start waking up at 6:30 a.m.

My solution and it truly helps, is to fill the house with flowers and candles.  I try to have the candles lit by the time the girls get to the kitchen table in the morning.  Get the coffee on and tea water to boil and then I sometimes even cheat and plug in a space heater for a few minutes.



What are your solutions to get through the dark days?

I love the idea of olives leaves (peace) and roses (love) together.  The bright pink roses and slate gray-blue of the olive leaves is a great color combination. 
Nature always has the answers for me.

peace and love all around

With affection,

No comments:

Post a Comment