How to: Play with Glass Paint and Silver Leaf



I’m supposed to be working on my Painting E-Course and finishing up this gorgeous gray and silver table but instead I played hooky.  Hooky is what we call it in California you don’t go to school and instead go to the beach or to a cafĂ©.   Of course, one can play hooky and not go to work also.  This Diario di Design is kind of like always playing hooky for me.

So I played hooky because I became inspired to do a vignette of tarnished silver and painted glass, then I thought it would be fun to just add silver leaf to encourage more reflection. 



I painted these little vases (jars, bottles and a wine glass) with pink glass paint and I let it dry a couple of hours. The more layers you paint the richer the color becomes.



I thought I might be able to just put on the silver leaf right over the wet glass paint and it would attach.  I was wrong.  It just became messy and didn’t stick. 

So I waited and later I added the silver leaf glue, one coat wasn’t enough, because it wouldn’t stick to the glass.  So I painted another layer and waited more.



Then because it was so hard to see where I had painted the glue I just rolled the vases right on top of the silver leaf still in the tissue packet. The silver leaf sticks to where you paint the glue. 


I think if you try to do a precise design it might drive you crazy because the glue dripped down the glass and my hands became too messy with silver leaf and glue.  So a sloppy haphazard design is better here in my opinion, but then obviously many of you are more artistically talented and dare I say, anal retentive than me!

Sette Design- Painting Techniques

I think another process might be to tape it out and then after the silver leaf process, do the glass paint.  But I wanted the color to come through the silver leaf.
 
Sette Design tarnished silver, glass paint and silver leaf, flowers galore

Sette Design Painting with Glass Paint


Anyone inspired to play with glass paint and silver leaf or just play with flowers?  All these flowers (except the roses) are from our balcony garden.  Aren’t they just splendid?

Ha una bella weekend!

Cheers,
Natalie

I'm linking with these parties:




No comments:

Post a Comment