Chalk Paint Recipe





I promised I would post up the recipe I did for painting this little shelf cornflower blue. 

I do love chalk paint because it so easily adheres to old furniture.





Here I used a Chalk Paint Recipe with baking soda (for my Italian readers that would be bicardonato di sodio).

Chalk Paint with Baking Soda
Mix acrylic paint 2/3 cup
With 1/3 cup of baking soda
Mix well.

Then I painted it on the shelf waited for it to dry and painted another coat.  It was that easy.  I took a damp cloth and wiped it off on the edges to give it a distressed look, then I lightly sanded the top to get rid of the gritty feel on the surface.

Here is what the shelf looked like before.


Before I painted it I was really going to throw it out, because I had taken it off the top of a piece of furniture and I was more interested in that piece.  Now that it is painted it looks just lovely.  I know I should have known better.

Sette Design shelf painted with chalk paint

I have also in the past tried a recipe of:

Chalk Paint with Powdered Stucco 
1 cup of Paint
2 to 3 Tablespoons of stucco (the kind that comes in a box and you mix with water).
I mixed the stucco in to the paint first by filtering it through a small metal strainer.
Then I mixed really well for a long time.
The problem with this recipe is that it congeals really fast and becomes too thick.  I just kept adding water to resolve this problem.

This stucco recipe is really good for painting flower pots, something about the stucco mixed in makes the flower pots say looking good for a long time, even with the humidity of the plants and watering them.

Sette Design uses for Baking Soda
As a side note, I must say I love Baking Soda for other uses. 
I use it to polish my silver tea set mixed with water till it is a paste.
I sprinkle it directly into the toilet to get rid of stains, let it sit a while.
And for beautiful white teeth I mix a tiny bit of baking soda with a mashed strawberry, a tiny bit of water and brush it on to my teeth.  It is amazing how this brightens the smile.

Are you smiling already?  Do you want to brush your teeth, paint a flowerpot or redo and old dresser. 
Have Fun!

With affection,
Natalie

I'm Linking with:


2 comments:

  1. Baking soda for chalk paint? Strawberries for whiter teeth? Who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great recipes! I am going to have to give the baking soda thing(s) a try! Love the look you achieved on your shelf!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete