Faux Painted Italian Bricks



 Good Afternoon from Umbria

I finished a job yesterday, painting a kitchen and I had done a lot of the work in my studio and then the client put it all the cabinet doors back on, when I went into the space yesterday I actually exclaimed wow, man oh man oh man- spectaculare!  I will share the work with you later in the week because it really is a good example of what a lot of paint can do.  Now I get to come back to my diario di design for a moment.  I have my 2nd cappuccino (cappuch) by my side like a loyal dog watching me with loving eyes.

faux brick and olive green shutters

Today I want to share painted bricks on this palazzo.  Honestly I think it is kind of silly-crazy to paint fake bricks over a centuries old palazzo.  But I want to show it as an idea actually to use in the garden.  If anyone has an ugly concrete wall, or a side of the garage (or the neighbors house?) something that needs enhancing.  I think it could be quite cool with vines and bougainvillea growing over it.  This process of painted brick adds depth and can actually make the space seem bigger and also more intimate.  Painting always makes a space feel more special.

If you look closely you can see this is done simply with charcoal grey or black lines and then on certain sides they do a parallel white line, and this gives the perspective.  Imagine it done with grey and white or shades of brown, or taupe and cream something less graphic, subtler.  If you paint the wall in a couple of colors first as a base coat, note the 2-3 shades of ochre, brown here. Then I would suggest sanding it, or maybe painting on some bleach to eat away some of the finish to distress it a bit.

Here are some examples of real brick wall, vines, flowers and all.

Roman wall and a fig tree






If say your neighbor's house just isn't up to par then you might consider a James Bond 007 move and swing cable yourself on to their roof and plant a bunch of jasmine, a few years and it will be all covered up, like this gorgeous brick wall.

jasmine and brick


What do you think, is fake painted brick silly or gorgeous?  I do like it here in Italy when they have a brick Palazzo and they cover up a window with concrete, then they just faux paint the brick right over the window space, to match the rest of the brick.  This I love.  I believe they cover the windows to heat the space better.  I would rather be cold with lots of light, then warm and dark!

faux painted brick, I love the ochre and white
With affection,
Natalie

I'm linking to:

1 comment:

  1. I think this looks great. It certainly a creatively way to solve a design dilemma like painting a window to create formal balance.

    I also love the weathered or worn away parts of the ochre in the lower half of the building.

    ReplyDelete