California Cottage - Gothic Italian Palazzo




My heart is in two places at all times in Italy and in California.  Like a nagging mother I need to remind myself one is not better then the other- both are stupendous.  As for architecture here are some photos I took this morning of our Gothic Italian Palazzo, you can take special note that the chaos and mess of our lives is hidden from these photos and yes it has been a crazy week, but I have been able to work on my Feel Good Homework from the previous post (Here is the Link) if you want to feel good about yourself.  I wanted you to get an idea of the doors and windows and the thickness of the walls.  This is what makes the space so Gothic and Italian.



The walls are as thick as the width of thedoors!

Note to Friends:  Click the ad/image below to learn more about my intensive Painting Techniques Course for Interiors, Furniture and Art.






balcony doors - Sette Design
I love that our palazzo is 800 years old.  It makes us feel safe, it is going to be here a while longer, even if we aren’t.  It has survived, wars and earthquakes and floods.  Our city Foligno was the most bombed city in Italy during world war II. It is special to think our home has already lived through countless generations, countless stories of love have already existed in these walls.  Just think how many times the pasta has been burnt in our kitchen, or someone yelled ti amo from my balcony.
 
Hallway Sette Design


Sette Design

blurry but pretty - Sette Design

Sette Design

I love that the walls are two feet thick, the ceilings are tall and grand, how the light filters in, and the wind blows from one end to the other.  I love how people come to visit and get lost, can’t remember the way out, door opening to more doors.
 
cool gate and the garden path - Sette Design
Oh but the California Cottage is a dream come true.  I absolutely love this little cottage I just showed you.  I could grow old here, putszing around in the garden.  The life on the porch in California is the bees knees.  You sit there with a cup of tea and see who comes by, or a cold beer in the evening, just sublime. 




I love how California Cottages are warm, the floors are wood and warm and the walls are sheetrock and warm and there are windows everywhere.  Whatever color they are painted, that is the perfect color.  I love how there is so much wood to be painted a color or even just white. Give me white wood painted floors and I'm in heaven.

I wish you could see this better but it is cornflower blue above
and more lavender under the porch - awesome paint choice!

I'm so naive that I feel like I could build this myself
It doesn’t matter how small they are because there is the garden and then there is the life played outside and you come home and leave your muddy shoes by the front door and maybe a friend comes to visit and does the same.



Cheers,
Natalie

I'm linking to:

6 comments:

  1. Your palazzo is beautiful, thanks for sharing it. I really enjoyed this. Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com
    History & Home link party, Tue-Fri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in California, I understand your love for these cottages. You took some great photos that show them off - all different, all wonderful! Thanks for sharing - MMR

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - your palazzo is out of this world - how lucky for you - just amazing!
    Thanks for sharing!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little palazzo!!! Pinned it~~~I'm gathering ideas for my ever so handy man to build me a little Garden/Play House. This one has my head spinning with ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Italian cottage, where is it? What part of Italy is Foligno? So cute and cozy!
    What fun you must have with this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Sweet Things, but there is a confusion going on. I live in an Gothic Italian Palazzo interiors show above. The cottages are in California. Foligno is in the Center of Italy between Florence and Rome.

    ReplyDelete