Painted Flowerpots - A Gift Idea




moss green flowerpots with tangerines


Today we are going to paint some flowerpots.  I am always painting flowerpots and giving them away as gifts.  It’s a nice idea to paint little ones and fill them with candies in a brown bag tied with a hot colored ribbon E’ VIA. It’s good to go!

Some of you out there might say that they these looked better before I painted the designs on them.  You might be right!  And why because the green is so fantastic that it made them look great right away.

is simple better


I had it in my mind to get a good moss green.  I already had some light taupe acrylic paint in my studio, to that I mixed a Kiwi Green color in a universal tint and a little Raw Umber also.  I came up with just the color I was searching for.

painted flower pots, see my crocuses starting to pop up
  
For the designs I did them free hand, but the bold design one, I penciled in first because I was insecure about it.

 Then I painted the designs in a metallic bronze acrylic. 

I outlined the designs in oil paint (I think oil paint makes everything look good).  For the oil paint, I just get the tubes at the art store.  This one was a dark brown Bruno Van Dyck.  I love it that oil paint colors seem to be the same in Italy and the U.S, maybe all over the world – artists unite! 

I mixed in some turpentine and if I’d had a liquid dryer I would have used that too. This way I got the shading of light and dark brown.

If you are not a painter but enjoy crafts, it is so simple just to paint polka dots.  If the dots come out messy, it will look good too.  You can even cut up a kitchen sponge into any form and press that into the bronze paint.


See how fun that is.  What do you say better painted or simply green? The thing about the designs, if you leave them outside for a few seasons and they start to patina, then the designs look gorgeous.    

-Happy Weekend
Natalie

        

No comments:

Post a Comment