Quick Therapy For Those Afraid of Color

this is not my kitchen, but I wish it was
- dark red and dirty pink love it!


There is a design movement out there that thinks no color makes good design.  Everything is white, gray, cream. I know I am treading on thin ice here because I am probably talking about 3/4 of YOU, my beloved readers.  But I do like to shake things up every now and then.  Basically design movements are all just a reaction to what came before, same as with fashion.  I'm laughing recently because my 14 year old daughter is all over "high waisted pants".

Here in Italy you can't imagine how many spaces I have painted neutral colors, my clients are so happy (relieved) to to pick "Tortora" Taupe.  And Taupe can be grey or brown or lavender so it is a good neutral.  Guess what this reflects, how scarred we are and of course people are scarred look at what we have been through with the world economy and years of war and violence.  These colors make people feel safe, I understand.  But I believe that color makes us feel happy and happiness reimburses it's self.

Here is Nat's quick therapy for those of you afraid of color.

You can start by eating something that is very colorful, then imagine something in your life that color.  What might it be, a dresser, a wall, bathroom towels...

blood-red orange slices

You can go out and buy an accessory that is totally crazy for your style and see if people react more joyfully toward you.  When women wear red or pink subconsciously men think it is sexy.  Why because in the animal world the blush is a sign that the female is ovulating.  We are all just animals, keep that in mind.

I bought this travel bag this week.  It is not a great color for a
 dish-water blond like me but it makes me so happy it's ridiculous


Pick something colored that does not go in the house for a tester.

in turn I believe guys who like color are sexy, confident and fun


Throw a colored blanket over your couch and see if there is a family revolt or if actually everyone wants to sit there.  If you live alone, take note how you feel.

change is good


Add colors that you like.  Do you like warm tones or cold tones?

kiwi-green and blue-gray


And lastly it is a fun idea to add color to your Foyer this way the rest of the house can stay neutral and you still have a welcome when you get home.


What does everyone out there think of color?

Natalie

I am linking with:

French Country Cottage
Savvy Southern Style
Romantic Home
The Shabby Creek Cottage

1 comment:

  1. I like neutral colors. They are so peaceful. But, I am finding if I keep things too neutral, I crave color! Life to the full! Melissa

    ReplyDelete