Gold and Silver Leaf Tutorial




This is a really fun post because there are so many phases of this little table project that I feel are nice just left where they are.  Knowing when to stop is key for whatever you are doing.  When I was in Art School in NYC I was the one others came to, for me to critique their artwork and to tell them when to stop working.



My plan here and remember plans make us happy, was to do some silver leaf and then distress it.  Leaf comes in silver, gold and copper.

I started by painting this table gray with acrylic paint.  I already liked it simple as it is here, 2 coats, I let it dry many hours.



Then I painted on the silver leaf glue (water-based mission) you can get it at the art store along with the leaf packets, here in Europe they cost about 5 euros for 20 sheets.  So it is not as expensive as everyone thinks.  The glue costs about double that, but can last for years and many projects.  With the glue you must let it dry about 20-30 minutes.  It should be tacky to the touch.  You want to get the whole surface covered.  I work fast, but if you feel nervous I suggest you just do a section at a time.



I put the leaf on with an old make-up brush.  It must be a very light soft brush or it will break the leaf of silver.  I also suggest you do it outside in a non-windy place because the silver leaf gets all over and this drives me crazy.  It is impossible to clean up because it flies away and if there is a little bit of glue on it can stick to your floors.

press on with soft brush


piece them together


If the gray paint surface coming threw bugs you, just add more leaf on top, either right away or with more glue and time.

I think it looks gorgeous without the distressing, modern and clean.

silver leaf modern look


Then I mixed raw-umber oil paint with a tiny bit of flax oil (olio di lino). But you can also dilute it with turpentine, just a tiny bit either way.  I used a dry brush and first brushed off the oil paint on a piece of wood.  

don't get too much on the brush

Then I brush it on the silver leaf and wipe it off (soft cotton cloth) where it is too much.  The more you work the surface the less brilliant the leaf will be.   I brushed over the legs of the table too.

antiquing - dry brush in oil paint


In theory I should have waited a few days for the oil color to dry.  I put on a coat of clear finish, water-based polyurethane soon after, before the oil paint had dried.  I’m not too good about having patience and I like a little risk, if it was a big piece or for a client I wouldn’t have risked it.

So I styled the photo of this table bold and intellectual and feminine and romantic.  Which way do you like it best? 

This book is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
it is supposed to be great


silver leaf table


Sweet regards,
Natalie 

I'm linking with these lovely parties:




               

2 comments: