Antique Finish on a Chair


this hyacinth is sitting on  english and latin dictionary
think how intellectual she feels


I found this chair on the street, much in need of love. Aside from the seat problem, it is solid.

before


First I cleaned it with vinegar and water and left it to dry out a couple of days (10 parts water, 2 parts vinegar).

glued and nailed


Then I glued and nailed the seat down covering it with plastic and then heavy books.  Another couple of days there, ahh patience is not my thing.  I may upholster it later to hide the nails.  Yet later when I put the finish they actually look good - country style. 

getting pretty now

I painted it gray.  

don't put too much you can always add more


rub off as you like

When it was dry, I mixed in a little bit turpentine with Raw Umber oil paint (just a tube from the art store).  I painted it on messy with a paintbrush, then I smoothed it around with a cloth and put it on heavier with a small brush on the angles of the chair.  Oil paint takes about 5 days to dry well.  You can mix in a dryer (I like Japan Dryer available in America, in Europe I use a drying gel medium) into the paint, this will help the drying process but is not needed.  If you want to protect it more you can put a clear coat on at the end.

the flower pot has a pearl finish (again!!) with a bronze boarder

This process comes out really nice if done on a piece that has detailing or moldings you can antique .  Try it on a dresser or armoire it will be so pretty.

this antique finish is lovely over color too!


1 comment:

  1. queste sedie mi ricordano la mia infanzia! thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete