Painting Leaves





tangerine, cypress, rosemary and sage leaves


I’m painting a villa way up in the hills of Umbria. The road to get there is long, empty and winding. 


   
i love how sage leaves are soft


This morning I came upon a large fallen branch that was lying across the dark pavement.  I passed it, then I got that elated silly holiday feeling and I braked, backed up and got out.  I grabbed the branch.  It looked like some kind of Cypress. It took up the length of my back seat.  The moment I got back in the car, it already perfumed of tree, winter, home, the forest and of joy.  I had found happiness.  Man that was easy. 

Later when I got home I put it in my studio and instead of my studio smelling like paint it, there was the scent of GREEN.

I stuck it in a bucket of water and let it rest.


7 is for Sette Design as in 7 colors in the rainbow

Then after a time I made a pretty display on one credenza. A little party sitting up high above the mess of paint cans and works in progress.  


the branch in my paint studio


Here is a secret and it is obvious, so it may not be a secret.  If you paint leaves it looks good.  Put them on the walls, free form on furniture, on doors, as a border on a mirror frame, modern and simple, antique and aged.  Leaves make people happy, they are a pure form of life.


work in progress


olives in my blue room

Did any of you out there find a little cup of joy today, something that surprised you?  What was it?  It may be it is still to come, keep your eyes peeled… 

Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment