Crocus and a Cappuccino




my grandmother Ann's tea cup


In Foligno, Italy the fog came in thick yesterday and this morning too.  It makes me happy inside.  It feels like San Francisco to me.  I have taught my girls to love the fog (I’m proud of that).  I said to Elisa (who is 9), when you grow up and find yourself deep in a San Francisco fog, you can get that warm feeling inside because it feels like Foligno.  She laughed at that, in anticipation.

cyclamen

I went to the flower market this weekend and bought a little group of bulbs.  So this post should actually be called a cappuccino and crocuses, ranunculuses, tulips, freesias and two hyacinths. 


look at the tiny topiaries


Then I can fill the house with flowers during the dark winter months.  My girlfriend Jessica, who is talented at many things, advises I put them in a dark bag in the refrigerator for 1 week to trick them into a cold slumber.  Then I’ll plant them in water or soil or rocks and see what happens.

Italians love cyclamen.  I see them as flaming hearts of color.  Don’t they look good with the topiaries?

the rain water has made a pound in one



Italian flower pots

A few ladders going up, you can have your pick.

ladders to the sky


What do you do to get through the winter darkness?   They have just started to hang the Christmas lights in our Centro Storico (old center).  Later I’ll take a photo, it is romantic and this year I’m hoping for architectural not cute.  Oh it does make me nervous that they will be cute.

Here's me on my path, city street, bike ride home.  I like it when the tree trunks become black from the rain.

with my bike basket full of bulbs

Happy winter.  Here we go!
Natalie

1 comment:

  1. I love leaves with the black trunks -- gorgeous. You should see my Japanese Maple. The trunk is grey, with a few white stripes and the leaves are a beautiful deep red.

    ReplyDelete