Harvesting Olives

Harvest Time






finding peace in the simple life


“You can have anything you want, if you give up the belief that you can’t have it.”

I don’t know who said that and obviously it is quite profound.  You know what that means… it is our fault, my fault (you say!).  I am stopping myself.  What’s worse is I had a really lovely childhood, so there is no excuse there, and yet I flounder. 

I know that part of feeling good for us creative types is to do something creative.  It is that simple.  Don’t forget it!  Also I think to be in touch with nature and the seasons is a sure fire way to finding peace, keep at bay our difficulties. 

Today we are going to harvest olives.  I know this is a design journal of sorts, but since Sette Design is coming to you out of Umbria Italy, every now and then we must do something fun and Italian, like make pizza or put on 4 inch heels, or reveal your cleavage, all the better if you are 60 years old, there are not limits because of age here.  You could also wear a pristine dark blue suit and eat a pastry with powdered sugar (risk), bike to work with your three year old in the back seat, a small ladder and an umbrella.  All of these options must be done with style.  If none of the above kicks it for you.  Then just slam down an espresso and smoke a cigarette.

Here is my olive grove.

olive grove


It was a bad year for olives in Umbria.  This summer it hovered around 100 degrees for 2 months straight.  I was suffocating working painting on a ladder (heat rises).  The heat killed the olives.  I have a friend who said some of her trees had only 5 olives on them.  Umbria for olives is like Napa/Sonoma Valley is for grapes.

The land from Assisi to Spoleto has good exposure to the elements and the trees grow strong out of the rocky earth, therefore the olive oil is delicious. Toasted thick country bread, prepared with salt, a raw clove of fresh garlic rubbed over the bread and olive oil poured on top is paradise found (Bruschetta).  


23 olives

I have 23 olives on my little tiny tree.  I harvest them off and put them in a bowl, cover them in salt. Then I leave them on my balcony for about two weeks. Mixing them every now and then. It really should get down to freezing temperatures to cure them well.


my harvest




mix in salt



ingredients


After  two weeks I take them in, clean off the salt with water.  Then I mix in olive oil, salt, garlic and orange peel.  Chop up the garlic and orange peels fine and sprinkle them on top, give it a day to cure and they are ready to eat.

Enjoy!

Natalie
P.S. The Winston Dictionary copyright, 1946 says
Cure 1. the act, or art, of healing; 2. a remedy; 3. spiritual change; 4; a method of preserving.


1 comment:

  1. That is the cutest "harvesting" ever; especially since I know someone who just told me she harvested her many acres of olive trees here in Sonoma County. Let me know how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete