Thanksgiving Glow


   
Thanksgiving Glow

beaded jars with candles  

    


 “There’s –a no such thing as an original sin.”

Elvis Costello (British singer)

Elvis Costello is a genius I might add, but that said, there is also no such thing as an original craft.  Sorry Elvis to bring us down to the level of crafting but this one is going to be fun and pretty and full of light. We can add our own special touch, our spin, new materials or put them in an innovative place in the house.  It is stimulating to think out of the box. 



mix it up





different sized and shaped jars


beads, buttons and votives

It would be nice to have in supplies:

Interesting jars that are flat on the bottom (makes the candle rest well)
Wire
Buttons
Beads
Votive candles
Thin neck pliers
Ribbons
Aluminum foil (which I don’t show here)

The jars are wrapped in wire to make handles, stung with beads, or buttons.  If you don’t have beads or buttons, I suggest making balls out of aluminum foil and wrap the wire around them.  This is a fun project to do with kids, but I highly suggest CAUTION when it comes to wrapping the wire.  It is easy to whip your face as you move the wire around.  I always keep my hand on the end of the wire.  If you do it with little kids have them do the ribbons and sting the beads.  You secure the wire.










I cut a long piece of wire.  Wrap the wire first around the neck of the jar.  Then I form the size of the handle that I want.  String on the beads all together (later they can be adjusted).  Then tie the wire off (wrap it) at the other end of the handle.  It is important to wrap the handle at both ends so it doesn’t slide around.  Then I form another handle going back the other direction to make it stronger, if you want to actually hang them.  Once the wire it wrapped off and cut with the pliers, I adjust the beads in the place where I want them to rest.  Just bend the wire and they will stay in their spot.  Add the ribbon but be careful that the ribbon does not go above the opening of the jar, so that they don’t catch fire.  We tied crystals from old chandeliers on to the ribbons to add extra reflection. Lastly I light the votive and drop it in.




makes the table glow with joy





hung on an old coat rack 
could be a warm welcome to guests


Do you think they are pretty?

My girls Lucia and Elisa had so much fun.  Lucia wrapped each bead in wire and Elisa chose to string them closer together.  They will be so brilliant to decorate our Thanksgiving table. 

Happy Monday everyone! 

Time to get festive.

Natalie






1 comment: