Sky Blue Ceiling









I have started to come to the opinion that painting the ceiling a color is a good way to make a nothing room look really good and a beautiful room look spectacular.  

I have a friend from design school, he is one of those multi talented types.  I am often inspired by his opinion, yet we love to fight about design and color. Years ago he said, “If you paint the walls the same color as the ceiling it makes you feel like you are drowning." I had attached myself to that belief for too long.  Now I feel that color on the ceiling can make the right space feel intimate.

This week I painted a ceiling blue and the walls lavender.  The morning I started the work I dumped all the materials on the job site and then went for a quick cappuccino.  At the cafe when I told my friend and barista I was painting a ceiling sky blue.  She said,” Hai trovato il cielo?”  Have you found the sky?  She was making fun of me, of all of us, sky searchers, dreamers.  I lose sight of my sky on a daily basis, no hourly basis.  Then I get up and reach for that deep blue all over again.  


sky blue ceiling


                                             

love this armoire  
 

The key to painting the ceiling is make sure the ladder is tall enough to not have to paint from beneath the ceiling, instead paint it with your arms stretched out in front of you.  Cut the line and work in. If you can do it with a roller extension from the floor this is good too.  I paint a whole corner and the walls too, then I move the furniture into the corner if possible.  If you don't have the extension to your paintbrush, just tape a brush to the end of a broomstick to do the last touch ups of pinholes of white that pop through, instead of moving the ladder and furniture all over the place. 






late afternoon light makes it moody


sky blue and stars

This is a photo of a alleyway in Sperlunga when I was on vacation in southern Italy, so cool to come across on our evening stroll, made the dark space full of hope.  


notice the layers of blue and irregular stars

Have you found the sky? Are you even trying? Don’t lose sight of the sky. 

Bust it out!

Natalie



No comments:

Post a Comment